Saturday, May 14, 2016

Highlights From the First Week

I've been following AIP for six days.  Tomorrow is day seven and I'm excited to embark on another week.  As I sit down and meal plan each Saturday for the upcoming week, it will be nice to also reflect on the past week.

Some highlights:
a) turning down Nutella cookies at work... because Nutella is probably the greatest thing ever invented.
b) Coconut Milk Green Tea Latte - still doing research on whether the coconut milk at Starbucks is sweetened, but even if it was, it was considerably less sweet than the soy I'm used to ordering.  Even if it wasn't compliant, it was a healthy change.
c) No fast food.  On Friday night, I was really hungry.  Like really, really hungry (I had taken my lunch to work that day, but hadn't had time to eat it).  There's a McDonalds around the corner from my home and I stop there at least once a week.  Not this week.  Not even once.  This is probably my most impressing feat of the week.
d) AIP delivery - I am now aware of a restaurant who will deliver AIP compliant meals.  Better Gourmet Kitchen has long been a favorite of ours, but we've always ordered cheese and breads and rice.  Our new order?  Bison burgers sans bun and tomato, on a bed of lettuce with added avocado, baked sweet potato fries and smoothies.  Delicious!
e) Liver - Eaic and I were out grocery shopping and banking when we needed lunch.  Eaic was craving gyros, so we went to his favorite place right now: Ciragan Palace.  Not much was AIP, but I could order pan fried calf liver (requested only oil for frying) and a Shepard's salad (without tomato).  Not bad.
f) Ox tail. Compliant bratwurst.  Bone broth.  All these things are going to be experienced in week 2.  I might also try my hand at some zucchini noodles.  We'll see.

For now, I'm menu planning for week two.  Then I'll do one more shopping run for tomorrow's batch cooking extravaganza.

0 comments:

Post a Comment